SEO is a strategy so many people think they can just set and forget, but when in reality, it’s an ongoing process. For your 2021 local SEO strategy, make it a goal to spend time on it throughout the year.
If you don’t have a local SEO strategy already, here’s what you need to focus on for the first quarter.
Your Google My Business, get it set up, get it optimized.
- You can open up your profile at business.google.com. If you already have it set up but are looking for some tips on optimizing and using your profile to the best of its ability, you can check out my free optimization guide here.
Check on your NAP: your business name, address, and phone number.
- Is it the same across every website and directory? This information is critical for Google to be able to trust your business as a credible one. If this information is off, it will confuse Google into thinking your business is less trustworthy.
Are you getting reviews on your Google profile and other directories (Yelp, Facebook, Foursquare, etc.)?
- If not, you miss out on a huge opportunity to communicate with Google that your business is liked and trusted by your audience. Google loves to show searchers businesses the people actually want.
If you have already have a local SEO strategy, here’s how to keep it up-to-date for a 2021 local SEO strategy.
Keep your Google My Business up-to-date.
- Remember to add a new post every week. This can be as simple as reintroducing a service or showing off a new deal you have on that week.
- Add new photos every month! Your audience will love to see that you are adding new images this way. They can see what your place looks like and what you’re up to.
- Keep hours updated, remember there are holidays every month, make sure you keep them updated whether you’re closed or open.
- Check for reviews! I’d recommend checking and replying to reviews every week/every month, depending on how many reviews you’re getting.
Make sure your Citations and Links are all up-to-date.
- Are there any new directories your business should be on? If so, make sure to get your business added.
- Have you moved? Changed phone numbers? Any links changed? Make sure you update these on ALL directories. Google needs to know and trust your business by having all the info be the same.
Please, remember to ask for reviews.
- So many businesses forget that their clients won’t remember to do this on their own. Set up email marketing and/or SMS marketing to send them a reminder to leave you a review wherever you need them (Google, Yelp, Facebook, Foursquare, etc.).
Here’s a bonus tip for those of you with an established Local SEO strategy: Update your website, make sure all of your plugins, themes, the software is updated. This will ensure your website is running how it’s supposed to.
- If you’ve taken new photos this year, make sure to add them or use them to replace old ones. Don’t forget to add your keywords into both the file name and the alt-text!